YOUR participation is wanted at the second ZOOM IN/ZOOM OUT session for Downtown Hilo! This one focuses on Parking and Transit Solutions
August 14, 2-5 PM, Aupuni Center Conference Room
ZIZO 1 Re-cap
In case you missed the first Zoom In Session on July 20, the discussion focused on “Circulation and Bicycle Facilities” for downtown. The group discussed and provided input on recommendations, including:
- Converting Downtown streets from one way to two way
- Adding a connection from Ponahawai Street to Bayfront Highway
- Providing a safe pedestrian crossing to Kaipalaoa Landing
- Integrating the downtown ped/bike network with the Bayfront Trails plan
- Incorporating roundabouts at several intersections downtown
- Which roads should have dedicated bike lanes, and which can be slowed down so bikes can share the road
- How regional bike lanes can connect to the downtown area
- and many more!
ABOUT THE ZOOM IN ZOOM OUT SESSIONS
Following May’s successful community wide event, the Downtown Hilo Multimodal Master Plan (DHMMP) technical team has been hard at work developing recommendations based on community input. Solutions under consideration deal with circulation, street design, bicycle facilities, pedestrian improvements, transit, and parking, all of which will ultimately come together to create a comprehensive plan for a more walkable, bikeable, vibrant Downtown Hilo.
We invite the community to roll up their sleeves and join the technical team for three “Zoom In, Zoom Out” working sessions, where we’ll “zoom in” to explore the individual solutions currently on the table and then “zoom out” to examine the overall effects on Downtown. This process is critical to identifying what solutions work best for the people who live and spend time in Downtown Hilo. Please join us!
Zoom In Zoom Out Sessions are scheduled for:
- July 20: Circulation and Bicycle Facilities
- August 14: Transit and Parking
- August 28: Pedestrian Improvements and Street Design
All sessions are from 2:00-5:00 PM at the Aupuni Center Conference Room, 101 Pauahi Street, Hilo.
Please forward this on to anyone who may be interested, and encourage them to join the project e-mail list at www.hawaiicountycompletestreets.com.