The third and final Zoom In Zoom Out session for the Downtown Hilo Multimodal Master Plan was held on August 28. Once again it was an excellent turnout, and we thank all of you who came out to share your mana’o.
The discussion focused on Pedestrian Improvements and Street Design for Downtown Hilo
Input was collected from more than 40 attendees on solutions including:
- Determining streets that could be used as Festival Streets, Shared Streets, Complete Streets and/or two way conversions.
- Determining appropriate gateway locations.
- Determining appropriate additions to the trail network.
- Locating placement of bike facilities including bike shares and bike corrals.
- Discussion on placement of curb extensions and parklets.
- Discussion of desired pedestrian features including expansion of covered walkways and a pedestrian bridge.
- Determining ADA needs to be implemented in street design infrastructure.
- Determining if green streets and street trees would be good for Hilo.
Here are the materials you need to brush up on what happened:
- Notes - The notes describe discussion on individual topics and document verbal and written comments received from attendees.
- Handouts - The handouts show proposals under consideration.
As always, we welcome comments during the process. They can be sent via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org, or you can post a comment at the bottom of this post and we’ll get back to you.
Over the next couple of months, we’ll be preparing an initial draft of the Downtown Hilo Multimodal Master Plan. Once available, it will be made available for public review and comment, and we’ll have another community event.
If you haven’t already, make sure you’re on our mailing list to receive news about the Draft Plan. Sign-up is through the website.